Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Daniel's New Ride

I vaguely remember riding on the back of my Mom's bike growing up and thought it would be great fun and exercise for me to get one for Daniel. After searching Amazon and other sights, when we came upon one at Walmart I pounced! It was a good price and I wouldn't have to wait for it to be shipped. Of course, it is not safe for him to ride without a helmet, so that was the next purchase. For whatever reason, I couldn't find a helmet for 6 month olds. The youngest they had anywhere I looked was 3 years. Oh well, Daniel has a large head! We tried it on him at the store and figured we could make it work. He tolerates it very well, actually. When we got home I put it on him again and he as pretty happy!
 The next chore was attaching the carrier to my bike. I thought it would be an easy task, but alas, it wasn't. First of all, all of the instructions were in metric so we really had to think instead of just go at it. The rest of the instructions were not very clear, but after a few tries, we got it! Daniel got to briefly test it out. Of course, the one day we did it, it had to rain. It hadn't rained in weeks!

A few days later, while Scott was at work, Ashlynn was at school, and I was supposed to be sleeping after working the night before, Daniel and I tried out the whole thing.  After I got him bundled up, helmet on, strapped in and off on the road, I was exhausted. I realized that I had overly bundled him because it had drastically warmed up since I had gotten home that morning.  I also remembered that all of the bolts and such were only hand snugged.  Plus the carrier was way too close to my seat so I was sitting on the handle bar. We called it quits pretty quick. Oh well, I found out it worked and it was ready to go camping!

No comments: