Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Apple Picking Time

Ah, it has finally become fall and it was time to harvest our apple tree. Daniel and I accompanied Scott outside to begin the process of weeding out the good apples from the apples the birds and worms had gotten. I got Daniel all settled in on his blanket in the shade with is toys,

Scott got me one of our new chaise lounge chairs (we got two because they were 75% off at Lowes) and I decided to let our baby chicks meander around and enjoy some fresh air and bugs.

Scott began the process while I played, but then I realized how big the tree was and how long it was taking him to accomplish this, so I decided to help. Ashlynn soon got up from her nap and came out as well. We finally had picked all of the ones we could reach, but instead of getting a ladder, I volunteered to climb the tree to pick more. That proved challenging since the tree hadn’t been pruned and all of the branches were super close together.

I was determined though and made it to a standing position and which point I realized I couldn’t reach many more apples in the tree than I could from the ground. I could however, reach more branches so I began shaking causing the apples to fall. It was raining apples!
 
Scott took Daniel and moved him out of the warzone but Ashlynn decided to stay beneath the tree. I got hit in the head about the same time she did. The good news is that 95% of the apples have been harvested and they are now awaiting their final destination: apple sauce, apple pie filling, apple butter, etc.

No comments: